I promised myself I would build this lounger for my 52nd birthday and on March 11th (my birthday) I completed it. So you can see, this project has meant more to me than I can ever express.
I want to say that I never buit anything in my life that did not come with Ikea-like instructions. This was a labor of love and very satisfying. I want to thank you so much for these amazing plans. This lounger is going to provide many relaxing moments in the sun reading and relaxing. BTW, its much bigger than I thought. I look forward to start building the double lounger next weekend. I'm sure I'll be able to cut down my build time in half. Thank you for an amazing experience! I found my new hobby!
Overall these plans are very easy to understand and very thorough. The cost was accurate almost to the dollar. Word of warning though, double check the cuts. I had my lumber cuts done at Homedepot and they screwed up the 30 slats and use two-inch hinges for best fit. I recommend that you buy: 1-Kreg right angle clamp and 2- kreg small clamps,and two boxes of 100 each 1.25 inch pocket hole screws to make your life easy and get a great fit in your build.
Length of Time:
Altogether it took me 22 hours over 4 days at an easy pace.
I would like to make a couple of comments on the plans and maybe a tip or two for anyone considering this project. First, I noticed the plan did not include a rear interior frame so I added one to add extra rigidity. Also, the added rear interior frame allows the back rest stand to slide under the back rest without touching the ground.
I tried to show as many angles on the rear interior frame so you can see the placement. Basically, it sits just under where the back part of the original interior frame is placed. The dimensions are 26” wide and 21.75” long (or built so it fits flush with the bottom end of the front interior frame and the bottom of the last adjustment block support.
Secondly, the instructions and drawings on adding the legs did not make any mention of how the legs will be attached to the frame until Step 8. The picture in Step 8 has vertical pocket holes showing on the length part of the exterior frame (you need these to attach the legs), but when building the exterior frame in Step 1 there is no mention of adding those vertical pocket holes. This becomes a serious problem when you get to step 8 and there is no way to attach the legs to the frame using the Kreg jig. My fix to this was to attach 4 custom cut small blocks of wood with Kreg pocket holes (attached to the frame with 2 wood screws for each block) to the end areas of the inside of the external frame.
I wanted this activity table to double as a coffee table, so I added 3" to all the vertical pieces. With being a husband, a father of 2 little ones, and a full time service tech in the HVAC industry, this project wore me out. I have to say it was all worth it, the kids love it and we have a piece of furniture that will stay in the family for a long time.
-Jerry these mods are amazing and I think this is the absolute perfect coffee table, especially since they all double as a play table when there are kiddos around anyhow! genius! ~ Rayan
As far as cost goes, with lumber, and all other materials, including finishing, I'd say around $150. I would chalk some of the cost up to this being my first project.
Length of Time:
With that said, it probably took me longer than it should've.
Everything is Pine.
I did not use any wood glue, it was all pocket hole screws. I tried to match the stain that is on the entertainment center in the background. Unfortunately I found it by using one stain on top of another (Colonial Maple on top of Early American). Inexperience, twice the staining, and staining everything prior to construction, all helped prolong the effort. I topped it off with 2 coats of a clear satin poly, just on the top.
This was my first project and I really want to thank you for making it possible. This opened an entire new world to me and I look forward to many more projects to come in the near future.
-Jimmy I couldn't be more proud of your hard work and this beautiful specimen you have built! I look forward to seeing your projects in the future and thank you for taking the time to build from my plans, it's such an honor! ~ Rayan
I used an assortment of what was available at the local large box store since I knew it would be painted. The legs are oak, top and shelf are birch plywood, body is pine, and the decorative moldings are poplar.
The table edges were routed with a roman ogee bit and the moldings on the sides, back, and drawer front were routed with a quarter round over bit. Finish is Valspar paint in Churchill Hotel Vanilla and antiquing glaze, followed by a Wipe-on poly.
We are still beginners with building so this was a little tough. Next time I will stain the boards before I put them together, at least for something like the top. We had to sand the drawers really well to make sure they really slided easily. I wanted my 3 year old to have no problems getting into it. The stain matched my son's furniture, so I was really pleased with the finish. It's also a very heavy piece of furniture, which is great because my son used his old flimsy table to climb on top of things. This one is not budging!