Browse the Builder Showcase Articles
I had blue cut birch plywood for me so I could get it home in my car. I sanded it really well, using several grades of sandpaper, I stained it with kona colored stain and put it together very easily. The only trouble I had was when my daughter and I brought it from the garage into the house because it's big, awkward and heavy. Thanks to TDC for posting these plans. Get building...you won't be sorry.
$120.00 for screws, wood and stain.
15-20 hours? I'm not sure, I work on stuff when I can...and I'm slow and my garage is very disorganized which slows me down even more.
birch plywood - 2 sheets
kona stain - it's really dark - love it
I modified the Design Confidential's plans to accomodate larger cushions and made a fire table to match. The plans are easy to follow and the Kreg jig made assembly a cinch.
Originally, I planned to use readily available Sunbrella cushions from Lowe's that were 25" square and around $90 for the sofas and chair. Unfortunately, they were back ordered so I found a guy on Etsy who custom manufactures cushions near me and only cost a bit more. Overall the dimensions of the sofas are 82" wide and 32" deep and 28" tall. I made the arms a bit taller as I am 6'5" and wanted the back cushions to have a little more support. The fire table is 50" by 30" with a 30" by 10" fire pan and burner inside. The burner and pan was purchased on Amazon and I isolated it from the cedar base by using metal L brackets and U-shaped aluminum channels over the L-brackets (U-side down). The burner pan sits on top of the U-channels which are a little over 30" apart and in the center of the table. The marble is calacatta gold but looks more like carrara. The fire glass is from allfireglass, a retailer on Ebay. The wood was finished with Sikkens Cetol CRD, which is a marine grade finish designed to keep the cedar looking like new without the typical gray-silver weathering that occurs after a couple years.
Western Red Cedar
We had been wanting a bar cart for a while, but didn't want to spend the money on a nice one. This was our first more complicated project. We had to adjust the plans a bit to fit in our in our teeny tiny rowhouse. Thank you for posting these plans!
$200 (including wheels)
This took us a few about two months working off and on.
We adjusted the dimensions because of how narrow our house is. We also didn't use a kreg jig, and used brackets and regular wood screws instead.
The most difficult part of the project was finding drawers and wheels. Since we adjusted the size, the openings for our drawers were very nonstandard. We had to end up making our own out of hardware cloth. It was also hard to find reasonably priced wheels. We ended up using Singer sewing machine pulleys from Ebay.
This is the Copenhagen Media Stand. I didnt like the view showing all the sandwiched layers from the end and the front so I framed the whole thing in Redwood. I also used pine that had pine beetle discoloration. Got lucky and spotted some pre-made panels with pine beetle damage - someone at the plant used their head and alternated the colored strips with normal strips when they built them. For the top I joined several strips to meet the altered dimensions I used - a few inches shorter than the plans.
~$140 - drawer pulls and sliders were biggest expense - even more so if you go with the slow close sliders...
Took me a few months but only because we had a baby mid build. Probably only 5 or 6 days of real build time - with a bit of a learning curve for the drawer slider installation.
Pine - pine beetle damaged for color
Pine project board with pine beetle damage cut up for drawer fronts.
Redwood for framing.
Oil based polyeurathane.