I used 3 1x3s on the legs instead of a 2×3 and a 1×3. The tabletop width is 23″ (original design called for 24″, but the cut of Padauk I had was only 23″ wide). I hand sanded the legs, and screwed everything together by hand: the later because I didn't want to risk splitting any wood out… Especially on the pocket holes on the lower Padauk shelf. All cuts were done with a circular saw by hand.
~$250 in materials, (a good portion of this was the 8ft x 23″ x1″ Padauk)
This took me about 100 hours or so due to doing some things by hand, and it being my first project.
Red oak, Padauk, (I considered using cheaper 2×2 Hemlock supports, but ended up cutting them a couple of 16ths short, so I replaced them with oak.)
Watco teak oil