Showcase

Reader Showcase: The Pursuit of Handyness Parquetry Dresser

06.02.14
Real Reader Showcase for The Design Confidential Parquetry Dresser Herringbone Chest

Building with Rayan's plan was so simple.

Since buying 1/4″ Walnut or Teak were out of my budget, I got creative and used Ikea Decking Tiles to create the Herringbone drawer fronts. I made modifications to make the dresser taller and longer. The paint and wood combination was inspired by Rayan's Sketch Up drawing. You can visit my blog for a very thorough tutorial on how I built this dresser. http://www.thepursuitofhandyness.com/diy-herringbone-chest-reveal/

To Read More About This Build, Visit This Blog Post 
Estimated Cost 

$150 if you use the cheaper Euro Slides.

Length of Time 

2 days to build but a week to finish.

Modifications 

I modified my dresser/chest to 40″w x 34″h x 18″d. This required modifications of every board. I also built my drawer boxes of 1/2″ plywood and secured with pocket holes in the front so that they will be hidden by the drawer fronts.

Lumber Used 

Birch Hardwood Plywood

Solid Acacia

Pine 1×3

Finishing Technique 

Paint and Polyurethane on the carcass and Tung oil on the drawer fronts.

Parquetry Herringbone Chest without drawer fronts.
Parquetry Herringbone Chest Front
Parquetry Herringbone Chest angle

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *