If you need organization and strong good looks to go with your heavy dose of spring cleaning, this hall tree plan is just the thing! A matching bench will follow so you can put your feet up while you take your shoes off. Oh how I love high function pieces.
It may be April Fool’s Day but this gorgeous build is no joke. That finish is so, so good with the two tone look and such a bright happy color for the base.
Here is what they have to say about their build:
Finally finished the kid’s desk for #arellanohomeschool. I added a storage space under the tabletop. Put in some soft close hinges so it doesn’t slam. The kids love it but now I have to build another because they’re fighting over it.
This is a bit of a departure from the usual line of business here at TDC, but I figure it is high time I filled you in on the reason for my bouts of silence around these parts. There has been so much going on behind the scenes here that I have failed to stop and take a moment to compose my thoughts and give you an update.
Ah, Venice Beach – the sun, the wind, the waves… the simple life! And there is plenty of “Venice” in this super easy Venice Bookshelf build! This build displays 5 shelves that sit lightly on their supports – plenty of space for all that crisp Spring weather to blow through… no matter how close you are to Venice Beach!
I pretty much always feel the need to simplify and declutter, but this particular spring has been the wettest we have had out west, in more than twenty years. For those of you who live in cold or wet climates in general, I have a newfound appreciation of what it must be like to dig your way out of the mess each spring. Things start to pile up everywhere, after months of being stuck indoors…
If you have some ‘splainin’ to do after a bit of a fizzle yesterday, pay attention, this will make up for quite a bit… If you aren’t accustomed to baking, fear not, this is easy peasy. Promise.
For many of us, tomorrow will be filled with a general merrymaking that surrounds a great American pastime. If you could care less about football, chances are you still like a good excuse for cocktails and small bites… especially if those things are easy and quick to make! Here are a few ideas for things you can pull off last minute, you know… if you are the procrastinating type. Not that I have anything in common with you people… except everything, of course.
At long last, we have the plans for another version of the twin sized house bed playhouse! You all loved the original twin sized version so much that I am rolling out the other requested sizes. Hopefully this will let you build for your purposes! Yahoo…,
Finally finished my daughter’s ‘big girl’ room and I love the result! It’s floral and pink, but the trees and dark wood house bed offset the femininity a bit.
Last year was a tough year for my little family, in so many ways. It was filled with trials and tribulations at every turn, making it difficult to set those things aside long enough to accomplish anything of value. That is all the more reason why I am so excited to start this year with a mind toward creating a better version of the home and lifestyle I want for us. For me this means more function with an eye toward form and a lot less of all the things.
One thing that has become obvious to me is how much my surroundings affect my motivation and inspiration. When the clutter and chaos sneak in, as they are always sure to do during the holidays, I tend to check out and switch to survival mode – getting absolutely nothing done. Luckily, this month’s Michaels Makers challenge was to get organized and make a fresh start of things. Yes please!
With an amazing amount of projects on the horizon, a project command center to keep me on task, is suddenly a must-have. There is nothing that will derail me more than not being able to find the things I need to do a job. I end up buying replacements and items in triplicate when I can’t keep track of the supplies I need, which just continues the clutter-chaos cycle in a horrible way. Sadly I consider myself to be extremely organized, but there is just no accounting for all of the other people who use these things, when there isn’t a set place for all the things to live.
Last year I was up to my ears in gift wrap and never did find that clever stash of gift tags. Tell me I’m not alone here… This year my frustration revolves around tools and crafty things that I regularly use to pull a project together. My drill, screws and nails, sharp scissors, command hooks… these are things I never have enough of and can never find when I need them. I retrofitted my gold cart into a tool command center for all of the things I use on interior projects and need to keep inside, rather than out with the bigger tools in the garage.
I managed to wrangle myself a new cart this year, to store the things that are more project specific, including an inspiration box to help keep me on the right track. When you are working in a remote location, a mood board isn’t always feasible, but it is oh so helpful to have a roundup of the items that will go into the space or that inspire the direction for the space. It certain makes those ‘on the fly decisions’, much easier to make.
It is a rare day indeed that I see a project that I can knock out in a short amount of time, so having a way to round up my supplies to get them out of the way without having to put them away, makes me insanely happy. There isn’t always a place for ‘in-progress’ items to live prior to completing them, so a generously sized bin is my fave. Michael’s currently has crazy cute styles and colors that make it exciting to clean up at the end of the day – which I totally appreciate! I need all the help I can get. The chalkboard labels and chalk markers might just be the best thing that ever happened to my craft supplies.
Heavy-duty and handsome boxes that close tend to keep my boys out, for the most part, so I feel less worried about keeping sharp scissors on hand. Having the scissors put away, seems to keep my husband out, so he is far less likely to walk off with my special ‘fabric-cutting’ scissors and everyone is much happier because of it.
These carts are the best… I used my gift wrap cart all season long for both wrapping gifts and making ornaments. It makes my life so much easier and sets my mind at ease when I don’t have stuff scattered all over the place. They were on sale last week for around $25, but the convenience they provide is priceless… Yes, I had to go there.
While I wrap up the remaining details on the boys room, I will be living out of these fantastic supply storing beauties, so wish me luck…
This project is brought to you in partnership with Micahels, all opinions and crazy are 100% my own! Whether it’s planning the family schedule, cleaning out your pantry or getting the kiddos ready to head back to school, Michaels has everything you need to help you get organized this year. Make a fresh start in the new year and plan for a great 2017! Michaels has a huge selection of planners as well as all of the accessories you need to personalize your own. Looking for more organization inspiration? Make sure you visit Michaels’ blog, The Glue String, to see the rest of the Michaels Makers’ organization project ideas.
The mere thought of having more stuff in this house sends me into a minor panic attack. The holidays and the toys that seem to multiply the minute I'm not looking, are usually the cause of the chaos for me. This year I made a concerted effort to pull back on the buying reigns and keep it simple and minimal. A few good pieces that will last, may be a bit more expensive, but the benefit of having less and having to replace fewer things that break and wear out, will far outweigh any cost difference in my book.
Inquiring minds (that would be me…) want to know: How do you keep the crazy at a minimum during the holidays? How do you handle well meaning gift givers that buy in bulk and do you buy for others the way you buy for yourselves? I will tell you that so far it feels insanely gratifying to choose a few good pieces that are functional or special and call it a day.
If you feel the desire to throw in the towel and exchange the mass for the minimum, these are a few pieces that I have purchased, received or would love to buy for someone if slash when they have a brand new babe or a kiddo who isn't a boy. It is all boy, all the time, here at Casa de Turner.
To see past gift guides and wish lists click here
02. The most adorable baby booties ever. They may work up to age 3, which is fantastic.
03. This kite is magical and looks amazing as a piece of decor when it isn't in use.
04. A worldly little elephant stuffy. I love it when toys are good looking – it makes for less stress over clean up.
05. A modern dollhouse that isn't insanely expensive and is cool enough to cross the gender barrier easily.
06. This explorer play set has just enough design to inspire hours of play while staying neutral enough to let that play be open ended.
07. This is my kind of chair. At least if I was a kid, this would be my kind of chair… since I am short, it could actually work as my chair, which is a bonus.
08. These oversized coloring pages that double as wall prints, are fabulous and would have been my dream come true as a kid. I brought back a couple of these from Europe, for the boys. Since the subject matter is also geographical, I guess they might learn something while they color as well.
09. I love this enormous polar bear night light. The coolest.
10. A camel stuffy? Yes please. It checks all the right boxes on the cuteness scale.
11. This street vendor cart is perfect for your budding entrepreneur and would make for hours of fun setting up shop to sell all of their holiday gifts right back to you. This is something my boys love to do…
12. This plush canoe is pretty pricey for a giant pillow, but on the bright side it is precisely that and would easily double as a place to lounge and read.
13. Ostheimer – need I say more? The most wonderful collectible wooden toys. They can be spendy, so you have to shop around for decent prices – but the fun your kids will have with non-traditional blocks and other scenery will make it all worth while. Plus you won't need to buy so many other toys.
14. Softy books and crinkle books are the absolute best for young babes – oh how they adore them. This smiling animal book is even more adorable than most.
15. A plush campfire and smore's set? Yep, adore.
17. Nice well made toys that also require your kids to get up and off those devices – and bowling is a great activity regardless of age. Anyone can roll a ball so the little ones won't be left out.
18. A gorgeous 'mingo', need I say more.
19. The inevitable train set for a boy doesn't have to be so basic.
20. The llama is such a noble creature filled so it only makes sense that this Hansa Llama would be an equally noble gift.
21. Beautiful and simple toddler sized quilts are few and far between, this lovely little thing is such a marvelous shade of indigo that it would be perfect for any child.
22. I wish they had something so chic as this Stories journal, for keeping track of all the lovely milestones, when my boys were still babes.
23. Bring a bit of the past into the present, and give your kiddos a gift of the classics – now with a cool updated look.
24. I love a good throw pillow as much as the next designer out there, so a pillow that doubles as an adorable work of art, is just the thing for growing kiddos young and older alike.
It may be late in the game to order gifts and have them arrive on time for the holiday without paying up the ass for shipping… but it is never too late to have a serious case of the ‘I wants’ and feel the need to share some of the glorious things I have stumbled upon from around the web. I am only human after all and I completely admit to getting a serious case of this ‘need, want, love’ condition every single time I browse the interwebs to shop for other folks. What can I say… I am a design and decor addict. Click here to see past Gift Guides.
This may be a roundup of so called masculine pieces, but let me tell you I am all over these beauties…
01. I don’t drink whiskey, but I would be smitten with this whiskey decanter gift set if someone were to gift them to me.
02. There is something so fantastic and in your face about this limited edition Michael Caine print.
03. Cool planters are always fantastic.
04. I adore statement pieces like these ghost trees. I will probably never own something like them because – children, but I can dream about them.
05. A towel I would be excited to hang on a towel bar and actually use as well.
06. I started wearing an apron this year, because the crazy mess that is holiday decorating became overwhelming. But let me tell you, there is something so satisfying about having a place on your person for your tools and the bits and bobs that you need on repeat. This apron is glorious and I would rock this baby any day of the week
07. This paper bowl sculpture is amaze and would be equally as functional as it would be beautiful.
08. The most glorious minimal abstract door mat that I wouldn’t put outside my door – ever. But perhaps just inside would be even better because you would get to enjoy it every time you step through the door.
09. If you like to listen to music or movies on the go, then you should definitely do it in style with these headphones – to be sure.
10. This leather mouse pad brings a bit of that worldly aesthetic to your home office and might just make you want to work a little bit harder. maybe.
11. Yes is all I have to say about this chair. It hits all the right spots and checks all the boxes.
12. A soap that cleanses without being anti-bacterial in the most common form, sign me up. Plus it looks good, don’t you think?
13. This reindeer hide rug is the unique designer version of a sheepskin rug and seems like it would be softy and gorgeous to laze around on.
14. This dinnerware would certainly elevate the everyday meal – and maybe even help you work up an appetite to make something fabulous? Eh, probably not, but let’s not rule it out completely just yet.
15. This quilted bedding is divine and would look good messy or made.
16. I will never likely afford this hook in any substantial multiple, but duh, I love it.
17. This channel quilted leather pillow is perfection with it’s retro luxe vibe